problems with looping sounds

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Re: problems with looping sounds

Postby daniel.weck » Thu May 24, 2012 7:35 pm

mzechner wrote:Wow, someone uses jni-gen.

can you share your fmod experiments? Maybe on github? what's the licensing status of fmod, i don't think it's free for commercial use.

I will definitely share my findings, as soon as I find some time to do it ;)

Thanks for your great work!!
Dan
daniel.weck

Postby Evile » Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm

I've done a lot of work with a sleep machine app, these clicks were the bane of my life.

I discovered they were being caused when the android audio system comes alive, I solved the problem by permanently having a sound playing at zero volume, this forces the audio manager to stay alive, and will stop the clicks. Not a very elegant solution, but it works.

The sleep machine, I designed it to play at very low volumes, even re-sampling to decrease amplitude, as you can imagine the clicks were very noticeable, and completely destroy the purpose of most android relaxation apps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e.lullabye
Evile

Postby daniel.weck » Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 pm

Yeah, these clicks are nasty, I hear them mostly when wearing headphones, just before notification sounds for example. Mind you, the same problem exists on my Mac OS X laptop...
daniel.weck

Postby Doofus » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:19 pm

There is already FMOD for java called NativeFmod http://jerome.jouvie.free.fr/nativefmod/index.php
And it works great.

Also remember FMOD is only free for non commercial products. You cannot sell your App/Game with FMOD, without paying the FMod license...
Doofus

Postby daniel.weck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Doofus wrote:There is already FMOD for java called NativeFmod http://jerome.jouvie.free.fr/nativefmod/index.php
And it works great.

This project is old (FMOD v3).

Although FMODex v4 works on Java/Android, you still have to know how to write C/C++ code to make the most of the library's native performance (audio rendering pipeline, filters graph, etc.). Wrapping every call in Java makes no sense here, other than for basic high-level functions (like play/pause/stop/ffwd/rwd).

Doofus wrote:Also remember FMOD is only free for non commercial products. You cannot sell your App/Game with FMOD, without paying the FMod license...

FMOD is really meant to be used for high-end games / apps, where the audio experience is based upon complex spatial-aware effects, etc.

/Dan
daniel.weck

Postby telos » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 pm

I also briefly investigated Bass for Android, but FMOD seems a lot more mature:

Can you share your findings with bass for libgdx? FMOD is good n all but the license would break my wallet... Bass would be a cheaper alternative.
telos

Previous

Return to Libgdx