ShapeRenderer alternatives for drawing good-looking shapes

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

ShapeRenderer alternatives for drawing good-looking shapes

Postby zocarius » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:15 pm

I'm getting started with libGDX and want to create a game that primarily uses vector shapes (i.e. no sprites).

Having played a bit with ShapeRenderer and doing some online research, it does not seem to be an option and only useful for testing purposes, because:
  • It creates jagged lines and changing the number of samples still gives subpar results
  • It's unable to draw proper thicker strokes, as it doesn't do miters
  • Based on what I've read, it seems to produce different results depending on the platform it's deployed to
What I'm after is a library that provides:
  • A high-level drawing interface that abstracts underlying complexities (I'd rather not deal with shaders, polygon-drawing to make a stroked circle, etc.)
  • Platform-independent solution (at least working on desktop, iOS and Android)
  • Has a decent range of drawing options (basic shapes, curves, fills and strokes, miter options, etc)
Does anyone have experience with a library that plays well with libGDX and fits these needs? Something along the lines what Processing offers for Java prototyping or Paper.js for web graphics.

Thanks in advance :)
zocarius

Re: ShapeRenderer alternatives for drawing good-looking shap

Postby tenfour04 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:03 am

Here's a tutorial about a way towards achieving what you're talking about. I don't know of any libraries for LibGDX that do this and are as full-featured as what you're describing.

https://github.com/mattdesl/lwjgl-basic ... nger-Swipe
tenfour04

Re: ShapeRenderer alternatives for drawing good-looking shap

Postby zocarius » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:34 am

Thanks for your response! Yes, I've seen that article, but it's the kind of low-level handling (for the rendering, not the modelling) that I'd to avoid if possible.
zocarius

Return to General Development