Different RAM consumption on different devices

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

Different RAM consumption on different devices

Postby DerEineDa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi,

I am rendering a static 3D-scene that consists of a few tenthousands vertices, around thousand decals and nine giant textures (each 1024x1024 pixels in size). I use two tablets for benchmarking and came to notice that the RAM usage is drastically different on those.

For reading the memory consumption I use the tool "procrank" while using ADB shell. According to the internet I look at the "Uss" value to see how much memory my application consumes. The two devices are a Motorola Xoom (running official Android 4.0.4) and a HP Touchpad (running newest CM9 nightly). My tests show that the HP Touchpad always uses around twice as much memory as the Xoom. In this example:

HP Touchpad: Uss: 200256K
Xoom: Uss: 80092K

So this is the question: Why? Why does the HP Touchpad seem to consume much more memory for exactly the same scene? Does anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance.
DerEineDa

Re: Different RAM consumption on different devices

Postby mzechner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:07 am

From our end, there surely is no difference. I never heard of procrank, but i'm assuming it doesn't take into account inter-process shared memory and other Android specialities. It's most likely due to the different Android versions you are running.
mzechner
Site Admin

Re: Different RAM consumption on different devices

Postby DerEineDa » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 pm

procrank is found on my android devices under /system/xbin/procrank and seems to be the preferred tool to analyze the behaviour of processes on android devices for some people.

Do you know of any other methods of analyzing the memory usage of an app?
DerEineDa

Return to General Development