how to manage packages for demo vs. full?

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

how to manage packages for demo vs. full?

Postby just4phil » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 am

Hi friends,

i am considering how to organize my package(s) for release as demo-version and full-version?
i want to:

1. publish an open beta version with a few levels that will become the demo-version when the most bug fixes are done (= "demo")
2. a) make the open beta version the free to play demo-version (= "demo") with a few levels
2. b) publish the paid version with all the levels (= "full")

(no ads.... just a few pence and a lot of fun!)

AFAIK if i release the paid version i have to choose another package-name before i can upload to the market.
but i want to work on one code-base only and i dont want to refactor the package-name everytime...

1st Question:
=> how do you solve that code-base problem with your free and paid versions?

2nd Question:
- to have 2 apps (free and paid) means that your paid app doenst have all the comments that went to the free app => that seems to be a disadvantage....
- to deliver all the levels of the full version within the demo-version and implement an internal unlock seems to bee a security problem: maybe someone hacks the app and unlocks all the levels... i would like to avoid that potential issue
=> Are there any simple and better ways to have beta- / demo- / full version?

bye
phil
just4phil

Re: how to manage packages for demo vs. full?

Postby siondream » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:25 am

just4phil wrote:1st Question:
=> how do you solve that code-base problem with your free and paid versions?

Basically you use the same codebase but provide a different asset package in each version. If your engine is data driven enough, it would make the desired content available with no code changes whatsoever. The tricky part might be the ads issue. I lack experience with ads services but you could have the code in place and enable/disable ads using a setting in some config file in your assets. The paid version will have that option set to false. Remember not to perform any network communication for the ads if those are turned off.

Another advantage of doing this is that the free version will be much more light weight than the full one. You don't want to make people download a 20MB demo with their phones.

just4phil wrote:- to have 2 apps (free and paid) means that your paid app doenst have all the comments that went to the free app => that seems to be a disadvantage....

That's more of a marketing issue rather than a code one, I'm no expert on that matter.

just4phil wrote:- to deliver all the levels of the full version within the demo-version and implement an internal unlock seems to bee a security problem: maybe someone hacks the app and unlocks all the levels... i would like to avoid that potential issue

Like I said, two different, isolated asset packages collections. The free version won't have access to the rest of the levels, there is just no way.
siondream

Postby just4phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:39 am

hi,

siondream wrote:Basically you use the same codebase but provide a different asset package in each version. If your engine is data driven enough, it would make the desired content available with no code changes whatsoever.

well my app is data driven enough. but i dont see how to do this: if i want to publish a different version with other assets on google play then it needs to have a different package name, does it?
and thats the point.... how do you have one code-base for different versions without changing package names??
(maybe i am a bit blind right now... but i diddnt get it...)

bye
phil
just4phil

Postby siondream » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:07 pm

just4phil wrote:how do you have one code-base for different versions without changing package names??

You can have two Android projects with different package names calling the same ApplicationListener class from the base project with different configurations.
siondream

Postby just4phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Ah ok i c
And the two android versions have different package names....?

That would make sense.......
just4phil

Postby just4phil » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:27 pm

hmmm... but i linked from my desktop project to the assets of the android project.
if i had two android projects with different assets, how can i do that?

bye
phil
just4phil

Postby siondream » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:12 am

The desktop project would use the assets folder of the Android full version.
siondream

Postby just4phil » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

that makes sense ;)

thanks for helping a dummy ....
just4phil

Postby siondream » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:58 am

No worries mate.
siondream

Postby Saurav » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:44 am

I use:

* Main game project
* Free Android project, uses game project
* Paid Android project, uses game project
* Desktop project, uses game project

Main disadvantage is having to maintain 3 copies of all graphics, audio, etc. files.
Saurav

Next

Return to General Development