[BETA] M.E.S.S. - Easy to play and competitive shmup

Present your own projects here, be they WIPs, betas or finished products. Get feedback from others and help each other out with some lovely testing.

[BETA] M.E.S.S. - Easy to play and competitive shmup

Postby Lomelin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi guys !

I'd like to show you the game I'm currently working on I would very much appreciate any comments / feedback.

The game is a simple shoot'em up where your goal is to survive long enough to do a big score. Here's the market url https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ootinggame
You can gain experience to upgrade you weapon, there is a lot of effects and lots of particles (up to 4500 at the same time) that makes the game fun to play.
The number of particles will adapt in real time to the number of fps

Some screenshots :

Image Image
ImageImage

And a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_JFsDjVHw8
That's all for now, thanks for your time :)

Last update :

[*]Different kind of explosions for the different enemies. The fireworks simulation is really improving :D.
[*]The background looks a lot better.
[*]You can select your weapon in the level selection menu.
[*]The effect when an enemy is hit is betterThere is a better effect when a bomb explodeSecret weapons are more powerful

Edit :

Bosses are more powerful.
You shield will protect you if you collide into a weak enemy

New menus with a better font ! I hope it will look less.. crappy ?
More xp into level 3 and 4 !
There is way more particles when you hit an enemy. 
Particles generation will adapt in real time to your fps.

Ho and the game is now called M.E.S.S., it stands for Mega Endless Space Shooter. And therefore the sequel will probably be called Super Endless Space Shooter or Virtua Endless Space Shooter ;)
Hope you'll like it !

And also..  a facebook page ! https://www.facebook.com/beyondpixelsstudios?fref=ts
Last edited by Lomelin on Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Lomelin

Re: [BETA] Endless Shooting Game

Postby Lomelin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:16 pm

You can also see a video here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQU1Fpze-fs :)
Lomelin

Postby switch04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi,
You cut the resources from Tyrian :P, I also cut the ships from Tyrian for my space shooter.
Sadly i abandoned my game because, between my job and school, i don't have the time to make state machines for enemy AI :*( .
I'm curious though, in how much time did you make this progress?

Regards,
Bogdan.
switch04

Postby switch04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm

switch04

Postby Lomelin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Yes I have, I'm a big fan of Travis, he has done an awesome job with his tutorials ! :)

I understand what you're saying, I also have a job in the day and school in the evening.. So it's hard to keep track of how much time it took me.. After learning java and getting familiar with libgdx (I've done 2 demos before, a shooter and a puzzle, not as advanced as this one) I would say roughly 150 - 200 hours, maybe more ? The most difficult part for me is to find good sound effects. And yes it's Tyrian, it's really great to get those for free :)

There are a lot of changes coming for the next update : tutorial, new scoring, new enemies, a really cool bonus, additional ships can be destroyed and minor fixes, it will be online for the week-end I think !

Thanks for your interest Bogdan, if you want I can send you an example of one of my enemy class
Lomelin

Postby switch04 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

http://squaredsheepaudio.cutthenoise.com/sound-effects/

I found this pack some time ago and from what i make out of their site i think you can use it for free even in commercial projects. It's mostly retro sounds. If nothing else at least you can use them for debug purposes.

It would be nice to look at a fellow libgdx enthusiast's code (noone in my area :*( ) but unfortunately, lately i have almost abandoned my little games, because my techniques for doing things are somewhat poor, and i have to write and rewrite thousands or at least hundreds of lines of code for very small progress. I am caught up in work and school and cannot formally advance in design patterns and architecture on my own right now. I would say my level is decent 'cowboy coding', and unfortunately, you cannot make a qualitative game, to be competitive on the market with that. Maybe i will get back on this horse during summer.

Regardless,
Just out of curiosity i would like to see one of your enemy classes. And if i tidy up a bit the code of my space shooter, i would not be embarrassed to let you have a look at it :) , although you would find it is very primitive compared to yours. The only thing of note i did was three layers of background (large near planets, small far planets, and further away stars) that scroll with different speeds and create the illusion of perspective.

Sorry for the lengthy post,
Bogdan.
switch04

Postby Lomelin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am

Hey, thanks for the link, I'll look it up ! :)

You've got a mp with the code :)
Lomelin

Postby switch04 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:04 pm

Thank you for the Code. You have quite some ifs with scary conditions :) . Look up State Machine with State Cartridge for implementing enemy models.
I you don't find any good info on Google, I have a book about video-game AI on some DVD at home.
Good Luck!

Omg: You made a Morse code app with vibrations? That is so cool.

My other app i made without libgdx is a LAN camera streaming app. Basically, 1 phone films, and others input it's IP and get real-time video footage. Zero garbage, 30 fps. Its almost like Spy Droid (no sound, however).
Should i publish it? Would some people actually use it?
switch04

Postby SwarmConnect » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm

I love the glowing and particle effects. How'd you create those?
SwarmConnect - Easily add leaderboards, achievements, monetization, and social features to mobile games and apps.
SwarmConnect

Postby Lomelin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 am

Yes it be scary I agree, this part is mostly coming from the first prototype I've made.. :D Thanks for tips the tip, I'll look into it ! :)
And yeah sure it's defenitly worth publishing in my opinion ! It will only cost you 25$ and it's just one time fee.

As for the glowing and particle : I've used particle effect for example the fire weapon is pretty close for the default effect that comes with the particle editor. The glowing is done using bloom library, you can found this here : https://code.google.com/p/bloom-lib/

The next update will be this week-end with a new feature : With the right bonus you can stop time for 3 seconds by putting 2 fingers on the screen, I'll do a video later
Lomelin

Next

Return to Showcase