Tyonar - Step Synth

Present your own projects here, be they WIPs, betas or finished products. Get feedback from others and help each other out with some lovely testing.

Tyonar - Step Synth

Postby mzechner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 am

Tyonar is a simple 16-step sequencer, heavily inspired by Tonegrid, which in turn is a direct Flash realization of Tenori-On by Yamaha (which is of coures a lot more powerful...). It's written with Audiodevice plus some custom C code for mixing and the delay line (desktop version uses Java, Dalvik is not fast enough, even with the JIT). The rendering is performed with good old SpriteBatch and a couple of Sprites. The app remembers your last "song" by storing it as a simple string via the Preferences interface. Taking full advantage of all things libgdx :) The code is ~400 LOC, including the C parts. Not all that bad i'd say.

edit: Thanks to StinkyRej from Reddit who pointed out i can use the min bufer size to synch up audio & video. Works like a charme, thanks mate!

leaving this here for hilarity and justice: Android audio is hilariously silly. There's no way to calculate or query for the audio latency. That's why it the visuals might be slightly behind the actual audio on some phones (FU SAMSUNG GALAXY S!).

Here's a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cP4xponw0k

Here's a QR code leading you to the APK:

And here's the direct link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24135503/tyonar-android.apk

I don't have any plans with this one. I might add pan and sort of ininite tracks, but we'll see. I just needed to do something else for 2 hours. Back to CI server maintainance, docs and issue fixing :(
mzechner
Site Admin

Re: Tyonar - Step Synth

Postby codabrink » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 am

Okay, to be honest, I love it! Would be awesome if you could bring in multiple instruments and bars.. and have something more of a simple music composer.
codabrink

Postby Saurav » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:59 am

Wow, that is cool. I'm guessing it's all 'white keys' notes?
Saurav

Postby mzechner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:24 am

@codabrink: yeah that would be neat. However, i think that would be a little over my head and time budget :)
@saurav: ya, it's just a pentatonic scale. The same scale used by Tonegrid actually.

That got me thinking: i could include multiple scales as options. My my, so many things possible :)
mzechner
Site Admin

Postby Saurav » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:30 am

You read my mind :) Of course, more complex scales make it harder for non-musicians to get musical output. But some easy combinations may work well. Like a flattened 3rd and 7th for a bluesy sound. Change the button colors accordingly ;)

Apparently the pentatonic scale is easily recognized anywhere in the world. I saw a TED Talks presentation by Bobby McFerrin where he talked about that. So I can see why you / Tonegrid picked that.
Saurav

Postby GambitDash » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:50 am

This is kind of hilarious because just this last week I was spending some time trying to write something exactly like this. Didn't have much luck, since I ran into basically every fun piece of audio chicanery you can encounter. Any chance you'll stick your source code up? I, for one, would love to see it.
GambitDash

Postby Badly Drawn Rod » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:02 pm

That is strangely therapeutic. I think the simplicity helps.
Badly Drawn Rod

Postby paulklemstine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:37 pm

I spent all last week coding my own libgdx synth. It combined a 303, a 808 and a 909 drum machine, with automated pattern generation, delay, reverb and distortion. It sounds awesome!

That is, until I tried on an actual device.

Who'd have thought that the phone would be too slow to run it?

So then I spent all weekend coding procedural planet texture generation for a space game. Who'd have thought it takes 140,000 ms to generate a texture that only takes 25ms on the desktop?

Arggg!!!!
paulklemstine

Postby mzechner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Welcome to mobile app development :) Chances are you could get your drum machines going with a tiny bit of C.
mzechner
Site Admin

Postby paulklemstine » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:48 pm

You make it all look so easy. Just a little C you say.

This is you:

"Let's see, I've got a half hour to waste, I'll just code up this massively multiplayer first person realtime strategy sandboxed zombie death squad game. Wow, it's freakin' awesome and I still have ten minutes to spare! Now I'll write another book, and maybe create Libgdx 2, and cure world hunger."

I'm teasing. You certainly are an inspiration. Keep it up.
paulklemstine

Next

Return to Showcase