Spriter Import

Any community contributions to libgdx go here! Some may get included in the core API when permission is granted.

Spriter Import

Postby Cyberchris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 am

Hello,
there exists a very interesting Kickstarter Project called Spriter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/539087245/spriter
It allows the user to create 2d-animations based on several images with keyframes and later skeletal animations and other stuff.

I have now written a first simple importer. Its is not optimized for performance, nor are all features yet implemented, but its working.

Attached is the eclipse-project and a video of the animation. I am not an artist. I will replace it as soon as I get one of the official examples.

What do you think? Could that be interesting for others, too?

Edit: I have updated the files. The video shows now a walking knight, which looks much cooler.
Edit(11.05.12): Update the files. Mainly cleaning up the source code

Bye,
Chris
Attachments
SCMLImporter.rar
The eclipse-project with the code (yet uncommented)
(14.25 MiB) Downloaded 1706 times
libgdx-spriter-Import.rar
a video showing the animation with the imported spriter file (walking knight).
(496.54 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times
Last edited by Cyberchris on Fri May 11, 2012 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cyberchris

Re: Spriter Import

Postby Magnesus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 am

Nice. Shame that the Spriter works only on Windows. :( Maybe I'll manage to run it using WINE, but it gives some DirectX error right now.
Magnesus

Postby Cyberchris » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:32 am

They say, that the final product will be runnable on mac os.
Cyberchris

Postby lucid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:38 am

Hi! This is lucid(edgar) from the Spriter team.
Just wanted to clarify, the mac version is something we're plan to do after 1.0. The Kickstarter's stated goal is the completion of the current version.
But we definitely plan on a crossplatform version as soon as we can from there. The more funding we get the more options we have to make it happen sooner.
Also, though it's no substitute for a true mac version, one of our forum users says the current beta version works great in Parallels/VMWare and Bootcamp.

And thanks again to Cyberchris for taking the time to do this.
lucid

Postby Magnesus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:05 am

Hello, I'm more interested in Ubuntu version. But still, maybe WINE will work after I add proper DirectX dlls. Worst case scenario, I will use VirtualBox just like you said. Thanks for the reply.
Magnesus

Postby cuellarjmcg » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm

That looks really nice O.o Is it possible to import it in libgdx and make it work exactly the same from the editor?
cuellarjmcg

Postby Cyberchris » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:21 am

I will try to implement as many features as I can.
Expecially the skeletal animations are interesting for me, which are right now not supported from Spriter.

But I know, they also plan to add dynamic morphing of the sprites and right now I am not sure, how to implement that.

Bye,
Chris
Cyberchris

Postby lucid » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:55 pm

hey everyone,
please read this post about the basic 2d rigging features for Spriter 1.0:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1013446/Spriter ... ainers.pdf

also, chris latest update has a link to this thread. thanks again
lucid

Postby wolli » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 am

I see a lot of potential in this application. I have been looking for a solution for game animation and this might be it. There are more sophisticated animation software available (such as flash professional and toon boom), but the libgdx compatibility makes this very interesting option from file size perspective.
wolli

Postby mzechner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:20 am

i've had the joy to work with Flash, i would not recommend it for anything that does not target Flash itself. Thanks Cyberchris for doing this, really neat stuff. It's a bit of a bummer that Spriter won't target all three big desktop OS from the start. Here's hoping for Linux support :D
mzechner
Site Admin

Next

Return to Libgdx Contributions