Input Problem

Forum for the book "Beginning Android Games", see http://www.apress.com/9781430230427

Input Problem

Postby domocles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:57 am

Hi,

Have been using the engine developed in Beginning Android Games to develop a simple arcade app and it is going well. I am really impressed with the breadth of topics covered and the manner in which they are explained. This is a good book :)

Anyway, I seem to have come up against a bit of a problem. Everything works fine on a Samsung Galaxy S (I) which I have been using as a test phone, but when I put it on an old Xperia (I think Android 1.5) I have a problem with the input. It's like it needs a debounce or something, it picks up multiple touches per touch. So in effect holding your finger on the screen is the same as rapidly tapping it as quick as the phone can poll the input.

Does anybody know of a technique of dealing with this problem? Other than this the game runs ok on the phone.

Thanks
domocles

Re: Input Problem

Postby mzechner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:14 am

If the phone is indeed a 1.5, then multiple touches aren't supported i'm afraid. If your users are using more than one finger, your game will inevitably behave confused. I'm not sure there's a fix for that i'm afraid.
mzechner
Site Admin

Postby domocles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 am

mzechner wrote:If the phone is indeed a 1.5, then multiple touches aren't supported i'm afraid. If your users are using more than one finger, your game will inevitably behave confused. I'm not sure there's a fix for that i'm afraid.

This isn't a multiple touch problem, it's a single finger registering touch up over and over again as a new event. So I can touch the screen for one second and get several touch up events. On my galaxy S this does not happen and I have tried it on later phones and it doesn't happen. Basically I have an object on the screen which which starts it to expand when you touch it, then if you touch it again it explodes. What's happening on the Xperia is you touch the object and it explodes immediately. But you can get it to work properly by being very, very quick with your screen touches, i.e. quicker than the phone can poll for the event again.

*Edited due to terrible use of English :)
domocles

Postby Varriount » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:20 am

Maybe it's just a phone hardware problem then?
Think of the unanswered posters : search.php?search_id=unanswered
If I'm you and you're me, then who's he?
Varriount

Postby mzechner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:46 pm

Hm, that sounds rather strange. Without a way to reproduce the issue, i'm of no help i'm afraid.
mzechner
Site Admin

Return to Beginning Android Games