8 bit (pixel) sprites

Talk about graphics, 3D models, nice sprite sheets, music, sound effects and anything related to the presentation of your game (not code :)).

8 bit (pixel) sprites

Postby César » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:10 am

What you guys use to make 8 bit sprites like characters, objects and other stuff? And where can I find resources to learn how to make 8 bit sprites?

Thanks for the answers!

Re: 8 bit (pixel) sprites

Postby BenMcLean » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Postby BoroDev » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Aseprite may help you.

Here are the tutorials : http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=aseprite

Postby owen » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:12 am

Here are some popular, functional pixel art editors:

• Grafx2 - Inspired by Deluxe Paint
  • Aseprite - In active development; has the RotSprite algorithm included.
  • Graphics Gale - Quite popular
  • PyxelEdit - Has some convient tools like a color ramp picker and a tile editor

All of these are reasonably priced (or free) but I've switched from Gale to Aseprite, and I think that Aseprite will only be getting better now that its author is able to work on it full-time. He also frequents the google discussion group that is set up for the project, and he is quite open to suggestions. You can buy the binary + updates for $10, or you can compile it by yourself for free (which you'll need to do anyway if you run Linux).

If you're just starting out, here are some helpful tutorials:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_p ... ?TID=11299

Also, looking at art from experienced pixel artists is good: http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/6741.htm This guy is one of the best out there. What's most impressive is how he uses a fairly limited palette and large areas of solid colors while still creating a mesmerizing piece.

The 8-bit-style micro-sprites don't take too much formal artistic talent, but making a good color-ramp selection before you begin to draw is very important. I'd recommend that you try not to over-saturate your colors, and that you try to use as few colors to make the piece look good. Avoiding things like banding, bad-anti aliasing, jagged lines, and over-dithering are things to watch out for if you haven't done much pixeling.

Have fun!

Postby sokol815 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:09 am

If you are interested in generating sprites, check out this cool github project:

you basically pass it an array which it uses to build sprites. Changing the array size and contents can drastically change the outcomes. The best part is, they look very pixely. I downloaded the source and within 5 minutes was generating 1000 spaceships at a time from which to pick and choose the ones I liked for my game's assets.

Postby César » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:20 pm

Ohh woow thanks for the answeres :D

Postby iody » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:22 pm

Postby mobgamegraph » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:51 am

If you want more pixel art preferences, then you can try to check this out. https://mobilegamegraphics.com/product- ... /pixelart/.
One-stop destination for high quality 8-Bit characters, graphics, themes, sprites, pixel art, and backgrounds. Create beautiful 8-bit games today.

Postby Rikazu » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:25 am

I use graphics gale; it's free.

Postby Hakeeb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 am

I create 120X120 pixel arts with Graphics gale.
Right now I shall read about pokiestar options. I want to say how it's great to say there. That place is awesome in every possible way.

Return to Game Art