Asking about game world

Talk about graphics, 3D models, nice sprite sheets, music, sound effects and anything related to the presentation of your game (not code :)).

Asking about game world

Postby Tanuki » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi you guys, I'm a beginner here. I'm planing to make a simulation game but I get trouble about game world.

My game, I think it'll be a 2D or 2.5D. How did you create your game world? These asssets? Characters? Do I have to draw things or it have a library to use? If I have to draw, learn AI from begginner will take time? And how to put these assets together to create your world? I found Overlap2D but the website had been deleted... What should I do now?

Thank you very much. :)
Tanuki

Re: Asking about game world

Postby raeleus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:35 pm

You're asking about quite a number of different things and all of which can be approached a number of different ways.

Creating your own game assets is quite a subject you can get lost in. I create my art in Adobe Illustrator. You can use whatever you're comfortable with. There are free alternatives such as Inkscape, Gimp. All of which will take time an patience to learn. There are free assets on opengameart.org but it's hard to make a cohesive game of your own vision using just that. You can always hire an artist.

The next step from that is to use a tool like Spine to create animations. This is another subject to take some time and patience to learn. Spine is not free, but I would not make any game without it even with the most basic of designs. I really wish someone would have convinced me to start using it much sooner because it makes design so much easier.

Now your question leads into level design. I wouldn't use Overlap2D because it's been abandoned for some time. Nevertheless, it's hard to find a decent level editor out there. Tiled is a popular choice but I feel that it restricts you to tile based game worlds. That might be okay with you. I've used Ogmo in the past. That was okay, not great. Many developers design their own level editors which can be a tedious but rewarding task. I personally am going to use Spine for my level design, though that is not it's intended use.

So, the game plan here is to learn and practice. Make small games along the way. Don't set off on your big dream game until you get the requisite skills. Look up tutorials online. Good luck.

And by the way, Google for the software I mentioned above. You should practice your Google Fu too.
Play Forward Gunner!
Create skins visually with Skin Composer.
raeleus

Re: Asking about game world

Postby Tanuki » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:19 am

Tanuki

Return to Game Art