Why is my dad against gaming?

Talk about graphics, 3D models, nice sprite sheets, music, sound effects and anything related to the presentation of your game (not code :)).

Why is my dad against gaming?

Postby blackcats » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:50 am

So I've been playing online games for years. First, it was a 8-year-old Animal Jam obsession. Then that obsession mixed with my Transformice obsession, but eventually both of them faded out, leaving me with Minecraft and Roblox. I know that most of you people here probably play those shooting games or whatever, but I like Minecraft and Roblox, yet my parents don't. From the time I was 8 and playing AJ, my dad would always be against me doing that. "You need to do some extra work", yabba yabba yabba. I've always been a good student - As and B+s for pretty much my entire academic life. I'm in the highest math class, and my parents understand that I'm more of an indoor person. But whenever I started playing AJ when I was little, my dad would tell me that "I shouldn't be playing that" and that "I should do some work instead". I get that I procrastinate a lot, but I always manage to finish my work.
more: chung cư eco dream
Even now, I'm applying for a private school, so my dad makes me finish ONE ENTIRE VOCABULARY LIST (on vocabulary.com, mine have 30 words each) and master every single word so I can get just HALF AN HOUR of gaming time, and I spend like 2 hours on the list. The worst part is that I have to get one hour before I can play. To prevent me logging on when they aren't watching, my dad installed a TON of website-blocking stuff, and blocked it on the wifi as well, which sucks.
more: chung cư golden park tower
My dad blocked a ton of other websites I love, too, and now I'm only able to focus on vocabulary and those websites they never noticed, like this one. I get exactly one hour to play, and right before that hour is up, they come stand right behind my chair and watch. The SECOND it hits the hour-mark, I have to get off. I have to say 'bye' to my friends super early because for whatever reason, it feels embarrassing when you're saying "gtg bye" to your friends when your dad is standing right behind you, watching everything you type. When I log off and close the tab, the blocks are re-enabled, and my friends are still online, playing for like two hours more than me. My dad compares me to other people academically A LOT, but whenever I compare my amount of game time to my friends's amount of time, it's like an unspoken rule that you're not allowed to compare yourself to others when it comes to gaming.
more: chung cư florence mỹ đình
Overall, my dad doesn't like me gaming, but why is he against it? I get everything done, and I get good grades..
Last edited by blackcats on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackcats

Re: Why is my dad against gaming?

Postby raeleus » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Some folks have a stigma about gaming like it will rot your brain or something. Although this doesn't have any basis in fact, you can't reason with these people. You just have to wait to grow up and move out of the house.

Gaming led me to my interest in game design and technology. From there I found many avenues of work and education. Hopefully that gives you something to look forward to.
Play Forward Gunner!
Create skins visually with Skin Composer.
raeleus

Return to Game Art