Virtual currency, GetJar/TapJoy etc

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

Virtual currency, GetJar/TapJoy etc

Postby Overflow_se » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I was just wondering if anyone have experience (prefably with more than one) with alternatives/compliments to AdMob ads. AdMob is the only one I have run but I have looked a lot at TapJoy and even implemented some test code, the API looks good enough but my problem with them is that the apps they offer for "reward" points is kind of crappy and I would not myself download any of them. I also know I can "sell" currency through Marketplace, but I want to offer my users options to get reward points for free too, just as TapJoy does. I know GetJar has an API for virtual currency too but I never get through to their support and the online help is failing..

Has anyone tried GetJars virtual store sdk? if so, how was it?

Is there any other option available for this kind of monetization?? Some option that offers better deals (better software) I know I have seen some other in game stores in games but it does not say which sdk they are using..

I have als looked at OpenFeint, have acount there etc, but my problem with them is that they are so very slow. Because of that I have not looked beyond their high score/acheivements lists. Do Open Feint have any other good features such as TapJoy has etc?

Sorry for bad english and long messy post, it was a lot I wanted to cover :|
Android Space Shooter http://www.aperico.com/stardust
Overflow_se

Re: Virtual currency, GetJar/TapJoy etc

Postby tescott » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:34 pm

I haven't used the virtual store yet, but I do know that Swarm supports what they call Swarm coins. You earn these via TapJoy and get earnings based on those.

Not sure how well it works, but I've been contemplating taking the plunge.

If you haven't heard of Swarm, they provide similar functionality as OpenFeint. I'm using Swarm on a couple of games for achievements, high scores, and cloud storage. It works out really well. Dan and Matt are great devs that are pretty responsive to requests and questions. At times, I wonder if they even sleep. :)

Check things out here: http://swarmconnect.com/
tescott

Postby Magnesus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 am

Overflow_se wrote:I know GetJar has an API for virtual currency too but I never get through to their support and the online help is failing..

The whole GetJar looks for me like failing. I would pass on it. :) I had only bad experience with GetJar as a whole.
Magnesus

Postby Overflow_se » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:19 pm

THanks for the input guys. Swarm should be good if I decide I want the Tapjoy virtual store. I still feel like there is some virtual store I am missing, I know I saw some in other games (now uninstalled ofc..) which had several "top games" downloads. I think one of them was the new angry birds clone: Wolf Toss
Android Space Shooter http://www.aperico.com/stardust
Overflow_se

Postby takmusashi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 am

Hey guys, Matt here from the Swarm team.

I wanted to add that Swarm offers a couple of different implementations for adding a store. There's an easy route where you can use pre-built screens, and then there's a fully-customized route where you can create a store that matches your game's look and feel by using APIs (it just depends how much time and effort you want to put into it). The Swarm Coins are worth $0.01 each, so if you sell something in your game for 50 Swarm Coins, we pay you $0.50.

Anywho, we'd be happy to answer any questions you have about Swarm or the virtual store. Finally.. as tescott mentioned, we're all about helping game devs.. and we rarely sleep, so chances are you'll get a good turn around time from us :).
takmusashi

Postby wizlon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 am

Thought I would chime in, on the plus side integration of Swarm coins was very easy... like, do it in your sleep/dunk easy, got swarm integrated with swarm coins, leaderboards and achievements in under a day. The negative aspect is that we have seen very few people use this feature (Literally one or two), it's not costing us anything of course and it doesn't affect our core business model either so I guess it's of no consequence. Just don't expect people to go batty for it.
If I've helped you out in any way then please check out my game Critter Rollers, download and rate. It's free (and quite good).
wizlon

Return to General Development