Box2D moved to an extension

We finished moving Box2D out of core and into an extension, just like our Bullet extension. The reason for this move was that not everyone needs Box2D, and it adds quite a bit of additional size to your packages. No more! Let’s see how you can add Box2D to your projects from now on.

New Gradle-based Project

If you use our new Gradle-based setup, you simply check the “Box2D” box and generate your project. All will be set up for you!

Existing Gradle-based Project

Existing Gradle-based projects must add Box2D as a dependency to their build.gradle file and then refresh their IDE projects. See this wiki article on what do add to your build.gradle file.

Existing Eclipse projects

Old school projects generated by the old setup UI for Eclipse will have to add Box2D manually. Download the nightlies (or the 1.0 release in a few days), and copy the following file form “extensions/gdx-box2d” to your project:

  • gdx-box2d.jar to your core project’s libs/ folder. Add it to the project’s build path, and make sure it is exported
  • gdx-box2d-natives.jar to your desktop project’s libs/ folder. Add it to the project’s build path.
  • armeabi/ to your android project’s libs/armeabi folder, armeabi-v7a/ to the libs/armeabi-v7a folder and x86/ to the libs/x86 folder.
  • gdx-box2d-gwt.jar to your HTML project’s libs/ folder. Add it to the project’s build path. Do the same for the gdx-box2d-gwt-sources.jar file. You will also need to add <inherits name='com.badlogic.gdx.physics.box2d.box2d-gwt' /> to your gwt.xml file
  • ios/libgdx-box2d.a to your iOS project’s libs/ios folder. Add an entry to your robovm.xml file, just like there’s one for libgdx.a.

Libgdx, Android, Intel x86 and you!

After our involvement with the Android Code Fest late last year, we ramped up our x86 support. We now compile Android x86 native libraries for all of our core and extensions code. This code is shipped with the latest nightlies and also available via Maven Central!

Our new Gdx-Setup UI has also been updated: any new libgdx project you generate with it will now automatically include x86 Android natives for your convenience.

Existing libgdx projects can be easily upgraded to work on x86 Android, just update to the latest release/nightlies and follow these instructions. For existing Gradle-based projects, check out our wiki article on dependency management.

We also got in contact with Intel who generously lent us one x86 Android test device. This will allow us to enable, test and tune x86 specific optimizations on Android such as SIMD in Bullet. This testing and tuning will take a bit of time, expect first results in Q2 2014.

Get in contact with Intel!

Intel wants to hear from you. Intel can provide different opportunities to you, like showcasing your app at conferences on Android Intel devices or other marketing opportunities.

If you are interested in learning more, we can connect you with the Intel Developer Zone Partner Program. Intel works to provide technical and marketing support to drive app success. If you have a B2B Whitepaper or other marketing material, make sure to include it. All your information will be treated confidentially and would be shared with Intel’s representative. The following minimal information will be required:

  • Company/Developer Name
  • Contact information (website, email, phone, skype)
  • List of Android applications, short description, sales & download statistics

Old Gdx-Setup-UI moved to separate project, deprecated

We putting all our eggs in the Gradle basket, effectively deprecating and moving the old setup-ui to a seperate repository. The repository has all the info you need to continue using the old setup ui. The project is also rebuild and redeployed by our build server everytime the source changes.

We will not maintain this project anymore, but will rely on the community to send PRs in case it breaks. Going forward, please use the Gradle based setup.