Tiny Dungeons – WIP
I’ve started working on a game again. Haven’t done one in ages, hope i have the stamina to pull it off. It’s going to be a light-weight Diablo kinda thingy. Kinda sorta, with a twist. I’ll try to release it on the desktop, Android and iOS eventually.
Here’s a screenshot. I’m happy to announce that Pascal from OrangePixels is doing the amazing pixel art.
I’m actually taking timelapse videos for all the time i spent on the game. It’s gonna be a glorious 2 weeks timelapse once i’m done with this
The game is “data-driven”, in the sense that there are no real entity types in the code. Pretty much everything is specified in a bunch of JSON files. I keep things very simple by using conventions-over-configuration where possible. E.g. all sprite sheets for monsters/heroes etc. have the same layout. Adding a new “entity” boils down to dropping a PNG file with the animation frames into a folder, and adding a JSON descriptor for it in a file. I have not started implementing behaviour for entities, but the plan is to provide a couple of pre-build Java classes that i can reference by name from within an entities JSON descriptor. It’s not exactly a full-blown entity system, but it sure smells like one.
I guess what i want to get across is that i keep things as small and simple as possible, while making it very easy to add new content on the fly. I try to limit flexibility where i think i won’t need it, short-cutting my way through things