Port to Nintendo Switch

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Port to Nintendo Switch

Postby bladecoder » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi!

I would like to port my libgdx games to Nintendo Switch. Right now I am exploring the available alternatives. Is someone here in the same situation?

The first option that I thought was to create a new RoboVM target for Switch. What do you thing? It would be possible?

What other alternatives do we have?

Cheers!
bladecoder

Re: Port to Nintendo Switch

Postby evilentity » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Ive been thinking about doing something like that myself, sounds like very fun project.

The main problem is, just like with other consoles, is that you cant just run stuff on them. You need a dev kit. And those are quite expensive/limited. And then there are NDAs. You probably couldnt make this open source. One plus is that switch dev kit is only a bit more expensive then the console itself, where other dev kits are very expensive.

Testing with homebrew or emulator might be possible, but you cant really release anything with that.

It certainly isnt impossible, just very hard to do.
Looking for a freelancer? PM me!
Check out libgdx discord server!
evilentity

Postby bladecoder » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I created an issue in the RoboVM github: https://github.com/MobiVM/robovm/issues/270

This comment to the issue is interesting:

""
Nintendo Switch is TegraX1 cpu, which means it is aarch64.
Compile java to that target is almost now available (64bit iOS devices uses it)
What you basically need is to get everything together with probably playing around Switch SDK as it looks like good enough to go. There is some homebrew tutorials in web so it looks possible.

Oh wait, you need the SDK, which hard to apply to, costs some $. Switch hardware. And many-many hours getting it working.
"""

Well, it seems that the main problem is to get the Nintendo SDK that is just a little more expensive that purchase a Nintendo Switch.

Cheers!
bladecoder

Postby ELY_M » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:09 pm

I found this topic from google search. I was looking to run Java on my modded/hacked/homebrewed nintendo switch.
I am Java/c/c++ programmer for variety of platforms. I already made homebrew apps for my switch.

actually, it is easy to do homebrew on your nintendo switch nowdays.
ELY_M

Return to Libgdx