LibGDX & RoboVM

Anything libgdx related goes here!

LibGDX & RoboVM

Postby mzechner » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:28 am

mzechner
Site Admin

Re: LibGDX & RoboVM

Postby technetium » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:49 pm

As someone who's only contact with RoboVM so far is the occasional compiling of my app for the iOS simulator, I've yet to delve into RoboVM debugging, or any of the things the licensed version offers, but I will now, thanks! :)

Could anyone clarify, what does this mean exactly:-

Going forward, you will need to enter a RoboVM license key to compile your libGDX/PlayN game

If I start using a licensed RoboVM plugin for the app I'm working on, am I prevented from then compiling that app elsewhere without a license?

Will basic RoboVM usage continue to be licence free? Or does 'Going forward' mean licenses will be needed for all future use of even basic RoboVM functionality?

And finally, signup for the free key contains a 'Game name' field. Is the free license tied to a single, specific game?
He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy!
technetium

Postby Magnesus » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:56 pm

If RoboVM is paid from now on it is a huge step back for libGDX. After ditching Xamarin for being paid we are back where we started...

And for supporting Windows we will have to wait for Microsoft to act it seems. :( I understand you are busy and want to earn from your project but maybe a different model would be better? Not one where we pay a third party for iOS while the main project seems abandoned.

Do you want to be commercial like Unity or open and free? I am OK with both... but to be commercial you need to offer more than other, free libraries - or at least match them in supported platforms.
Magnesus

Postby mzechner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:40 am

Technetium: you can use the license on 2 computers, if you need it on a third, you'll have to disable it on one of the other two.

Magnesus: did you not read the blog post? LibGDX folks get a license for free, including debugger support. How is that a step backwards? The only additional thing we asked for in return is to activate that free license key. Also, what do you mean by 'main project being abandoned'? Also, libGDX is the baby of many OSS folks. Xamarin and RoboVM are not among them and will never be.
mzechner
Site Admin

Postby tholopai » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:06 am

mzechner wrote:LibGDX folks get a license for free, including debugger support.

That sounds great, thank you! How long is that free license valid?
My first game: Goldmine Explorer (Android, iOS)
tholopai

Postby mzechner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:16 am

It should be renewed every year.
mzechner
Site Admin

Postby ConteZero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 am

Free or paid licence is not so important for me, the main problem is that RoboVM is no more open source.
ConteZero

Postby mzechner » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:12 am

How'd you say does this impact your development?
mzechner
Site Admin

Postby Magnesus » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:45 am

mzechner wrote:How'd you say does this impact your development?

For example if Xamarin decides to close RoboVM in the future (for example because it won't make them money) we are left without any way to upgrade our games on iOS.

LibGDX folks get a license for free, including debugger support.

For how long? How long until Xamarin change their mind on this? How about new developers who have no game to show to get the license?

How is that a step backwards?

Limited to a number of stations, closed sourced, can be revoke on a whim. How is it not? :shock:

Also, what do you mean by 'main project being abandoned'?

I haven't seen any significant new features being added to libGDX last year or two, no new platforms supported either, no new helpful tools and it's way behind on 3D to almost all other engines/frameworks. And I am not the only one who is worried, I've seen this being discussed in other places. I understand it is free & open source, so it's your choice to make it what you like it to be, I am just stating that we - developers who use libGDX - feel insecure about the future of the platform right now.
Magnesus

Postby ConteZero » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 am

Mario, I chose libGDX because it was the best open source cross platform framework that I have found, I looked at the code and found it really high quality, so I want to thank you for your great work.
Currently the change in RoboVM has no effect in my development work, I do game development in my spare time and I do not own iOS devices so I'm developing only for android and desktop.
The main advantage of open source is not that it is free, it is that you have access to the source, my personal experience with closed source software has always been bad, that's why I do not like the RoboVM change in development model.
ConteZero

Next

Return to Libgdx