How to: Make your libGDX game ready for TV

Anything libgdx related goes here!

How to: Make your libGDX game ready for TV

Postby MrStahlfelge » Thu May 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi,

after releasing my games for FireTV and AndroidTV, I wrote done my experiences to share them with other libGDX devs. I found no information about it here, so I hope this helps you. At the moment, two articles of the mini-series are done:

* Overview releasing a game for TVs
* Releasing a game for Amazon Fire TV
* Releasing for Google's Android TV (coming soon)
MrStahlfelge

Re: How to: Make your libGDX game ready for TV

Postby Magnesus » Thu May 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Thanks for taking the time. Many people will find it useful I think.
Magnesus

Postby raeleus » Fri May 11, 2018 7:14 am

Another great read. Did you just figure all this out from experimentation?
Join us on Discord for faster and friendlier service.
Create skins visually with Skin Composer.
JOIN THE libGDX Jam of October 2019!
raeleus

Postby wolfieee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:22 pm

MrStahlfelge wrote:* Releasing for Google's Android TV (coming soon)

Is this article still going to be created?
wolfieee

Postby shatterblast » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:05 am

AndroidTV last I checked uses an older version of Android. The main complaint involves a lack of drivers for game controllers. I believe it is possible to get the AndroidTV remote to work if you download the Android SDK portion with that specific name in IntelliJ. I haven't tested it of course, but that's to my understanding.

If you want to follow that route, please, be aware that you might need to set a lower maximum SDK value than normal. AndroidX is suppose to cure that problem when it gradually reaches AndroidTV globally. Last I checked, not all areas have that yet. I think that would mean AndroidX compatible AndroidTV devices would work well with API 28 / Android 9.

Also, you will physically need your own AndroidTV device I think. I believe Google has an AndroidTV emulator in design at the moment, but I haven't checked lately. The standard Android emulator stuff remains compatible with AndroidTV, though, and that received recent updates.

The "article" was probably not able to be created at the time due to a lack of sufficient hardware support or whatever. The thing with AndroidX is still fairly recent. I would expect things to smooth totally over by the time Android 10 arrives, but I don't intend on testing it myself soon. I think 10 comes in April.
shatterblast

Return to Libgdx