Using libgdx for standard windows app

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Using libgdx for standard windows app

Postby bmanmcfly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:48 am

Sorry if this has been asked before, I am not more than a hobbyist (until I legit publish something, that I am started).

Now, I know it's completely possible and have been reading how skin composer was put together.

I guess the question is, if we do that is opengl going to be a requirement, or can it be kept to software opengl since would only really be using scene2d widgets, right?

Also, since it would just be waiting for input, does the refresh need to happen every frame, or could it be kept to something like clicks or whatever?

I may have more questions; I just have a utility that I may need to build and I've grown used to libgdx and java in that context, but it may be more suitable to use c# for a non-game related purpose, and since not all computers have opengl functionality that could be a deal breaker for what is otherwise known and comfy.

(Its one of those, if I can pull it off it will be a huge bonus at my job, which is not programming related, and if I can't I just don't tell them what I'm working on)

Edit: also, only have android studio, and don't feel like learning all elements of setting up a windows with jforms or whatever, but I do have visual studio remnant of when I was more focused on c++. Anyway,

Thanks.
bmanmcfly

Re: Using libgdx for standard windows app

Postby shatterblast » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:52 am

While it is certainly doable, usually a business wants something supportable with an earned certification on your side. It's one thing to lead someone with hype. Marketing folks are great at that! However, what about when it comes time to deliver your product or idea? You would want something to show someone else who has power to decide on that project. If you really want to follow through with the idea, you need to start with something small, and then maybe say, "Hey! I've got an idea!" Once a few people use something and approve of it, you can grow from there if you want. I can tell you, though, it can be a lot of work. You would want to consider: How would I handle forms? What about spelling and grammar correction? Those are normal things you will not find supported with LibGDX, but with some creativity, you could get it to work.

Also, I suggest switching to IntelliJ Community Edition if you start researching the idea. You won't drop support for Android Studio projects that way.
shatterblast

Postby bmanmcfly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:29 pm

shatterblast wrote:While it is certainly doable, usually a business wants something supportable with an earned certification on your side. It's one thing to lead someone with hype. Marketing folks are great at that! However, what about when it comes time to deliver your product or idea? You would want something to show someone else who has power to decide on that project. If you really want to follow through with the idea, you need to start with something small, and then maybe say, "Hey! I've got an idea!" Once a few people use something and approve of it, you can grow from there if you want. I can tell you, though, it can be a lot of work. You would want to consider: How would I handle forms? What about spelling and grammar correction? Those are normal things you will not find supported with LibGDX, but with some creativity, you could get it to work.

Also, I suggest switching to IntelliJ Community Edition if you start researching the idea. You won't drop support for Android Studio projects that way.

The company does lean towards enterprise software, but also has alot of internally built and maintained software with some who contributed utilities (Mostly taking the form of massive excel spreadsheets with macros).

The reason it's better for me to build it first is that, worst case becomes an app that only I wind up using, best case it gets shared to all those who would benefit.
Otherwise, if I ask first, then it goes to committees and meetings and discussions before it gets handed off to the programmers, whose priority is maintaining internal software, and it might be years away.

The biggest constraining factor against libgdx for that purpose is that only the computers with solidworks have opengl. Would be pointless to make something that only a handful of people could even run.

Thanks for pointing me to intellij, I may have to consider using that since it seems to be more widely usable.
bmanmcfly

Postby shatterblast » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Since you seem to have experience at least with Android, you could probably stick with that then. Most Android devices run OpenGL. I'm not sure how that would affect your development.

In regards to "forms" I mentioned earlier, Google apparently offers a somewhat easy way of porting over to Google Sheets. You could then manually save a document to Excel, though that might not be what you want. Still, Google Sheets, Docs and so on allows saving to many different formats, even Json to some extent. It's just an idea. I think GitHub has stuff.

Also, Android has the ability to natively port over stuff to Google Docs, Sheets, and so on in an easy manner. That might be another option to consider, even if you don't use LibGDX. If I considered that option for LibGDX, though, I would ask myself if I wanted to tie my software solely to the Android API or look more to stuff meant for generic Java? Open source Android stuff tends to be pretty well developed but narrow. With general Java, you could eventually expand past Android, but it can take a lot more work.
shatterblast

Postby bmanmcfly » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:03 pm

Experience, well, not really professional experience as that goes. I have made a number of toy projects while learning libgdx and java, and if I did would not be guaranteed to work on all computers here (most don't have opengl hardware).

The more I'm looking into things, the more it seems that it will be less of a headache to use the visual studio options I have available than trying to get libgdx / android studio to play nice with stuff that's not quite intended.
bmanmcfly

Postby tenfour04 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:07 am

Surely there are no PCs made in the past 20 years that cannot run OpenGL?

I don't think a game engine really makes sense for the type of app you're describing. If you know Java, you can do it in Swing, and IntelliJ has a WYSIWIG editor for UI layouts, so there wouldn't be much for you to learn.
tenfour04

Postby raeleus » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:25 pm

Huh, hmm? Did someone say Skin Composer? :D If you asked me to prototype a Windows app or develop a utility, it would definitely be in libGDX/Scene2D.UI. Not because it's a superior platform, but because it's what I'm familiar with. There are better Windows API's out there with better support, compatibility, features, scalability, etc. I just happen to know how to work Scene2D to my whims. Imagine having that ability in something more powerful?

My work has shitty computers, some of which don't support the latest Java or OpenGL. That's something I've worked around. If you control what platforms you release to, that would be a huge boon to your plan. I think the major advantage of having a libGDX based app would be the complete control over animations. If you're not taking advantage of some visual medium, you're really only getting the simplicity of Table layout as a benefit.
Join us on Discord for faster and friendlier service.
Create skins visually with Skin Composer.
JOIN THE libGDX Jam of October 2019!
raeleus

Return to Libgdx