Android TextField - Spacebar is autocompleting words?

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Android TextField - Spacebar is autocompleting words?

Postby FTLRalph » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:39 pm

This is kinda a weird issue some of my users are reporting. I've asked, they say Android 8 and 9 mostly, some don't have custom skins or anything either. Can't get it to happen on any of my devices.

They say when they press "space", sometimes a word is added/duplicated. Like autocomplete, but there's no autocomplete visible.

Here's a video of it in action, it first occurs around 0:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGb8mzY_2AE

Anyone off the top of their head know of a way to fix this, hoping it's something like AndroidKeyboard.autoComplete = false or something...
FTLRalph

Re: Android TextField - Spacebar is autocompleting words?

Postby shatterblast » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 am

I had this issue many months ago with both my Desktop builds and the Android emulator. It got to the point where I gave up. I don't know what a fix for it would be. I think there might be a recognized issue with a spare thread messing with the input. I haven't tested the stuff in a long time, but I believe improvements have been made in the last couple of LibGDX versions. To my understanding, it has something to do with the crossover between the 32-bit and 64-bit architecture support in Android 8 and 9, since if I remember right, those two APIs no longer support 32-bit. When related to hardware, it mainly involves a certain generation of 64-bit ARM processors that do not support Android 8 and above to my knowledge. The Coolpad Revvl comes to mind, but I really haven't tested it. Also, that specific model only goes up to Android 7. Apparently, an issue became presented to LibGDX as a new feature of the popular processor became tested in Android. I wouldn't know how to localize the issue, though.

This might sound like a really bad idea, but you could probably feed the input into a buffer. Whenever Space is pressed, you could check for the presence of double-occurring letters by dividing the String or Char line in half, checking even if such can be equally split in half before attempting. You might update the output every other render() cycle if you need. It's an idea.
shatterblast

Return to Libgdx