LibGDX on Flutter?

Anything libgdx related goes here!

LibGDX on Flutter?

Postby pedro » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:08 pm

Any possibilities/plans on adapting LibGDX to run over Flutter?

I used to be a heavy LibGDX/RoboVM user several years ago, published multiple games using it, but due to discontinuity of RoboVM after it was bought by Xamarin if I recall correctly (around 2015? dont remember very well), and difficulty on getting plugins to run on iOS I had, forced me to migrate to another engine. But Im not liking this other engine very much, and I plan to migrate to Flutter, and would love to be able to use LibGDX again, that's why Im asking.

From what I see now it seems RoboVM is working again (??), but in any case I think I will probably go to Flutter direction anyway (I could try LibGDX/RoboVM again but I think it's too risky for me). There is a major gap on Flutter for developing game, something as robust as LibGDX (even if a simplified version of it) could easily be the #1 choice there and make Flutter be a good platform for games. Just my 2 cents.

Edit: re-reading it's not clear why I would choose Flutter instead of LibGDX if I'm starting a new project anyway, and know LibGDX is great, and know Flutter sucks for games. It's mainly due to RoboVM being hard to work with (at least in ~2015), to create plugins, etc, on every update of AdMob or any other plugin I wouldnt be able to update the plugin for several months until someone made the bridge (pod? that's what it was called?). And also due to it simply getting discontinued and making me overnight have to migrate several games to a new platform (lost over 6 months doing this, easily), I fear this may happen again. Flutter has the benefit of a large community making all the plugins, so LibGDX could focus only on the engine itself.
pedro

Re: LibGDX on Flutter?

Postby shatterblast » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:36 pm

I recognize that Scene2D can pose some difficulties when trouble-shooting. You might give VisUI a try. It's under maintenance again and should provide a much better development experience in that regard.

Otherwise, no, to Flutter.

1) https://github.com/kotcrab/vis-ui
shatterblast

Postby pedro » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks but I honestly didnt understand your 1st paragraph (about the difficulties of Scene2D), care to contextualize a bit more?
pedro

Postby shatterblast » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:23 pm

It can get really complex if you don't have both pre-existing code and basic experience with it. VisUI cuts down on that by doing a lot of the work for you before hand. If you ever mess with Scene2D and haven't used Container, then you will see what I mean. You can check other forum posts here if you want a hint towards why. I also updated the Wiki regarding Container lately.

1) https://github.com/libgdx/libgdx/wiki/S ... #container
shatterblast

Postby pedro » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:51 pm

Sorry, but I still dont get the link between my question and what you're saying about Scene2D or VisUI. My question was if there is a known effort/fork to run LibGDX over Flutter, or to put it as a suggestion in case there isnt.
pedro

Postby shatterblast » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:30 pm

The answer is no. I'm suggesting VisUI.

From my previous post...
shatterblast wrote:Otherwise, no, to Flutter.
shatterblast

Postby pedro » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:35 pm

I still have no idea why you're talking about Scene2D or VisUI, but ok...
pedro

Postby shatterblast » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 pm

Your options are:
1) NOT Flutter. No implementation is in development.
2) Scene2D. It's low level for making a UI. It's similar to Flutter, but with absolutely nothing fancy at all. It also has a reputation for a high learning curve. If you want to make a UI purely through LibGDX, then this is the default and only route in most cases.
3) VisUI. It's an implementation of Scene2D for considerably easier development.
4) AWT stuff maybe, like Swing, but you will still likely use Scene2D eventually. It would depend on how you want to design your Swing / AWT implementation.
shatterblast

Postby tintinger108 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:37 am

Very good example of how to destroy a good question with a stupid answer. shatterblast, are you by any chance a politician? :D
tintinger108

Postby pedro » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:33 pm

tintinger108 wrote:Very good example of how to destroy a good question with a stupid answer. shatterblast, are you by any chance a politician? :D

Thanks for confirming I'm not going crazy :)
pedro

Next

Return to Libgdx