Storing Game Data Online

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

Storing Game Data Online

Postby DRing » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 pm

So wondering what approach people take for online data saving. Im wanting to save different information like how many games played, what characters were played more often, which characters do better then others, etc. Also needing to save player data like purchases, upgrades, etc. I dont have any experience with this so wondering what is typically done. Heres my general ideas, looking to be pointed in a direction, once I know what to use I can figure out how to use it on my own:

1. Player Saved Data: This will include stuff like coins, character upgrades, purchases, etc. For this thinking the GPGS saved games will be enough to handle this and will allow for play on the same account across multiple devices

2. Game network data: Im thinking that Im going to need a server and database and pay for that. This will need to store data on every game played and want to include info like what characters were played, what upgrades were used, what kind of damage, etc.
DRing

Re: Storing Game Data Online

Postby TomGrill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Take a look at Google's Firebase. They have to realtime database which can be used for storing savegame data. And there is firebase analytics which can be used for gaining overall data for players' behaviour.

Alternatively write your own server which communicates with your game. I have written spring boot REST server for my games.
Acorn Tilewalker BETA: tomgrillgames.com
@TomGrillGames
TomGrill

Postby DRing » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 pm

Ok thanks, I will look into that
DRing

Postby DRing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 am

So with Firebase would you suggest using it for all saved data, including users profile, or still use GPGS for that?
DRing

Return to General Development