LibGDX Choice ?

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

LibGDX Choice ?

Postby fabiitch » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello, i use libgdx and made a little game with and i start a big game. (brawl stars like).

I choose libgdx cause im java developer in life. Java is my main language , i was before on AndEngine (i made some mini game application, link in my signature)
,i see andengine wasnt in evolution and the community of libgdx was bigger.

Ah im bad in english and i smoke weed just before.

But this is 4 year before i think, but now : Libgdx is always a good choice to made a good game ?
I see unreal engine, or unity demo and i imagine the possibility to cool effects, hight poly ect ..

I try unity but i don't like the C# and i really prefer the java.

But im really questionning about my choice .

On a phone libgdx got same performance than an unreal engine ? in 2D ? and in 3D ?

i have the impression libgdx is in his end .
I finish my project with libgdx anyway , im too advanced in to back . I present him in the section "project" when he was ready to play =)

Have a nice day/evening/night
Sry for english , if you are here , thanks for reading.

Fabiitch
fabiitch

Re: LibGDX Choice ?

Postby evilentity » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 pm

If you go with 2d, libgdx will probably be better choice for you, 3d? Probably something else. 3d without proper editor is a lot of pain.
Looking for a freelancer? PM me!
evilentity

Postby slebed » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:01 am

I've been working on my Starcraft 2 inspired RTS game for a couple years now. Libgdx is now than capable of creating fast 3d games, but it's taken me a long time to come to grips with how powerful it is and I'm still finding things new things that impress me. This is a passion project and educational for me so my situation may be unique. I follow the development of unreal and unity, but I still choose to write everything myself.
slebed

Postby Magnesus » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:23 am

slebed wrote:I've been working on my Starcraft 2 inspired RTS game for a couple years now. Libgdx is now than capable of creating fast 3d games, but it's taken me a long time to come to grips with how powerful it is and I'm still finding things new things that impress me. This is a passion project and educational for me so my situation may be unique. I follow the development of unreal and unity, but I still choose to write everything myself.

Share some videos or screenshots. Would be great to see what libGDX is capable of in 3D.
Magnesus

Postby evilentity » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:41 am

Libgdx is capable of anything you can do in opengl, the problem is it takes a lot of skill to make anything out of it. In something like unity you just drop few models in and you have well performing game for whatever platform you want.
evilentity

Postby fabiitch » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:55 pm

thx for your reply.

For me the problem of Libgdx is used only per amateur project.

I found some thread on forums like https://itch.io/games/tag-libgdx.
Its can be cool if libgdx showcase sort games. People who search a framework can see the potential of libgdx.
I think the community is very important.
fabiitch

Postby evilentity » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Like in a gallery of sorts? https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/gallery.html

For any freely available framework/engine amateur projects will be the vast majority. Take a look at unity and all the crap that floods steam and mobiles stores. Making anything half decent takes a lot of skill and time.
evilentity

Postby slebed » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:31 pm

Magnesus wrote:
slebed wrote:I've been working on my Starcraft 2 inspired RTS game for a couple years now. Libgdx is now than capable of creating fast 3d games, but it's taken me a long time to come to grips with how powerful it is and I'm still finding things new things that impress me. This is a passion project and educational for me so my situation may be unique. I follow the development of unreal and unity, but I still choose to write everything myself.

Share some videos or screenshots. Would be great to see what libGDX is capable of in 3D.

I've posted a video on YouTube of my work in progress. https://youtu.be/f1MHK1dFsJg

Here is another video of an earlier build (before I broke the shaders!) recorded off my Samsung S3 tablet. https://youtu.be/17CXmGnDB4o

In both these cases I haven't optimized the code or my shaders so I know my frame rate will be much higher in the end.

I really don't like showing people anything until its more polished. There are still lots of bugs in this video, including some new shader issues that popped up.

Hopefully this will give you a little hint of what LibGDX is capable of.
slebed

Postby fabiitch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:41 am

wow really nice, gg for the shadow !
How you do it ? !! I want same for my game !

How many units you can display before impact performance?

Really continue your project , its really good.
fabiitch

Postby Magnesus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:54 am

slebed wrote:Hopefully this will give you a little hint of what LibGDX is capable of.

Nice, thanks! Good luck with the game, looks very cool.
Magnesus

Next

Return to General Development