LibGDX Isometric Engine Issues

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

LibGDX Isometric Engine Issues

Postby x_tech » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:30 am

Hello all, I'm working on an isometric game in LibGDX for Android and IOS. I'm slowly becoming more skeptical of LibGDX because of the poor documentation and uneasiness of how stable this will be in a commerical production environment. Firstly, here is my current isometric engine:
https://gist.github.com/wdavies973/2e891ad6cf0141387b5c0e9633a67e3c

I'm attempting to create a full fledged isometric engine similar to that of Clash of Clans, with zooming, panning, world limits, inertial panning, buildings, entities, etc. I haven't been able to find any good examples of this currently.

Ultimately, I'd like to create a isometric engine in LibGDX that I can later translate into a tutorial for others to more rapidly develop an isometric engine. Currently, there is very, very little documentation available, much less documentation that covers the features described above.

Anyway, I have several points that I need help with:
-I'm having an issue when zoomed in fully onto the map, for some reason the IsometricTiledMapRenderer stops drawing tiles in the upper right and left corners:
https://imgur.com/a/vq6vz
-Is the ExtendViewport the correct viewport choice or would ScreenViewport better suit an isometric game?
-How is my engine? I'm hesitant to use IsometricTiledMapRenderer and feel as though it would almost be better to build up my own Camera, Viewport, and TiledMapRenderer to simplify things. I don't really understand how coordinates are being handled between the camera, viewport, and renderer, the last time I checked, the (0,0) point for the camera was the far left, middle of the isometric map, which made aboslutely no sense to me. I'm using Ashley for entities, so maybe I won't have to worry about knowing coordinates too much anyway. Is there anything I can do to make this engine better? There's stuff I'm unsure of, for example, the pan limits only work with one map size, and can the zoom limits be hard coded?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, as I've struggled for days with this.

Relevant info:
-playableTilesWidth and playableTilesHeight are 30 x 30 for my particular case, the map is actually bigger (60 x 60), the bording tiles act kind of like the forest in clash of clans, they aren't usable, but cover up what would otherwise be unrendered area.
-I'm using 4:3 ratio for the tiles because I think it provides nicer immersion for the game

I'd love to turn this into a YouTube tutorial series and text tutorial to help contribute back to libGDX, so if anyone could help, that'd be awesome.
x_tech

Return to General Development