Google Plus login API to shutdown on March 2019

Anything libgdx related goes here!

Google Plus login API to shutdown on March 2019

Postby davidbv » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:29 pm

My game connects with GPG for cloud saves, scoreboards and achievements. It's been working fine for the last years.

I just received this email from Google: https://i.imgur.com/FMzYVmZ.png?1

Hello Google+ Developer,

We’re writing to let you know that as part of the sunset of the consumer version of Google+, we will be shutting down our Google+ APIs on March 7, 2019. As part of these changes, Google+ Sign-in has been fully deprecated and will also be shut down on March 7, 2019.

What do I need to know?
On March 7, 2019, all Google+ APIs and Google+ Sign-in will be shut down completely. This will be a progressive shutdown beginning in late January, with calls to these APIs starting to intermittently fail as early as January 28, 2019.

What do I need to do?
Please update your projects listed below by March 7, 2019 and ensure they are no longer using Google+ APIs. The data below shows which Google+ API methods your projects have recently called.

Note: If you see calls to people.get, these can be the result of using the Google+ Sign-In feature in your application, which is now fully deprecated and is being shut down. Developers should migrate from the Google+ Sign-In feature to the more comprehensive Google Sign-in authentication system.

I use this code for logging in, which indeed seems to use Google Plus login:

if (!mGoogleApiClient.isConnected() && !mGoogleApiClient.isConnecting()){
mGoogleApiClient = new GoogleApiClient.Builder(this)
.addConnectionCallbacks( this)
.addOnConnectionFailedListener(this)
.addApi(Plus.API).addScope(Plus.SCOPE_PLUS_LOGIN)
.addApi(Games.API).addScope(Games.SCOPE_GAMES)
.addApi(Drive.API).addScope(Drive.SCOPE_APPFOLDER)
.build();

Is there any recommended course of action or guide on how to update this?
Last edited by davidbv on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
davidbv

Re: Google Plus login apis shutdown on March 2019

Postby obigu » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:49 am

I do also have Saved Games implemented but the shutdown date is December 2019
Hello G Suite Developer,
We found that one or more of your apps is using the [Google Drive Android API], which will be shut down on December 6, 2019 . Affected apps are listed at the end of this email.

What’s changing?
On December 6, 2018, we announced that we’re simplifying options for developers by retiring the [Google Drive Android API]. We will focus solely on expanding functionality for the [Google Drive REST API].

I guess the reason is that you are using the old Google+ sign in, in the end though, the problem is the same and I have no idea on how to proceed as the documentation on Google Play Saved Games has not been updated afaik.
obigu

Re: Google Plus login apis shutdown on March 2019

Postby davidbv » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:01 am

Yeah, I also received the Drive email, but as it talks about a year from now I decided to wait and see. This one, however, will result in failed logins in just a few weeks.

We should probably move to a different approach for Cloud Saves, but what could it be?

Is Google Play Games going to disappear? or be replaced?
davidbv

Re: Google Plus login API to shutdown on March 2019

Postby obigu » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:27 pm

The only thing that risks disappearing is Saved Games, Drive is not required for the rest of stuff such as Achievements or Leaderboards.
obigu

Postby MrStahlfelge » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:17 pm

You don't need the PLUS login scope for GPGS to work, they changed that years ago. So just remove it. [Here's your copy-template](https://github.com/MrStahlfelge/gdx-gam ... lient.java), you are welcome.

About the problem with Google Drive, no one knows what is expected from us.
MrStahlfelge

Postby TomGrill » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:44 pm

I do it like this:
Code: Select all
mGoogleApiClient = new GoogleApiClient.Builder(activity)
                    .addApi(Auth.GOOGLE_SIGN_IN_API, gso)
                    .build();

Not using any of the GPGS features in my game for now. Just need the id to assign an account to a save game on server side.
Acorn Tilewalker iOS & Android: tomgrillgames.com
@TomGrillGames
TomGrill

Postby davidbv » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:18 pm

MrStahlfelge wrote:You don't need the PLUS login scope for GPGS to work, they changed that years ago. So just remove it. [Here's your copy-template](https://github.com/MrStahlfelge/gdx-gam ... lient.java), you are welcome.

About the problem with Google Drive, no one knows what is expected from us.

Thanks, I did this and indeed it works.

Let's see what happens with saved games. It sucks for old projects to be forced to update them every X months because Google decides to change their API calls like that.
davidbv

Postby obigu » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 am

I read on some forum a Google team member saying that their plan was to make the changes seamless for developers that integrate GPGS Saved Games so no action would be required on our side when they migrate.
obigu

Return to Libgdx