Is there a use to perspective camera in 2D games?

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

Is there a use to perspective camera in 2D games?

Postby larienna » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 pm

I was wondering if perspective camera could be useful in 2D games.

Could it be used to create parallax Scrolling effects? Still, parallax could be easily simulated using a wrap around texture.

Could it also be used in 2.5D games like the old "Double Dragon" where you could also move on the Z axis. With a perspective camera, I imagine the character would slightly shrink when moving away from you.
larienna

Re: Is there a use to perspective camera in 2D games?

Postby evilentity » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Looking for a freelancer? PM me!
evilentity

Postby larienna » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:30 am

But the graphics in this game are 3D. I understand that perspective camera are essential to any 3D game, but what about 2D games.

There is of course 2.5D games like D&D:

Else I was thinking something like perspective scenery to be possible like used in theater.

It's just that in theater, the scene remains idle, as in video game, the scene is in motion.

So in that case, the only advantage I could see is to add more depth to the background, but from a game play perspective, it does not add much unless I am making a 2.5D game. Else I would need a 2D game where stuff in the background impact the gameplay in the foreground.
larienna

Postby evilentity » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 am

Characters in that game are 2d. You could make the buildings 2d as well.
Perspective camera is not some magic creature, all it does is make things further away appear smaller. In most 2d games its not necessary. In most 3d games it is.
Looking for a freelancer? PM me!
evilentity

Return to General Development