How many Android users have joysticks?

Anything about development not directly related to libgdx, e.g. OpenGL, Android APIs etc.

How many Android users have joysticks?

Postby larienna » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:00 pm

I tried to search a bit on the internet to see if there were some statistics about the number of people that actually used a joystick with their android device. But I could not find anything.

The idea is that if I design a game that strictly requires a joystick or keyboard (a game that cannot be played by touch) and there is not enough population of people playing with joystick, I could avoid the hassle of developing for the android platform and strictly focus on desktop development. It should speed up the development process (less bug and issues).

Does any of you have any stats?

I don't care if they are just rumors, personal perceptions or unofficial data. Not necessarily looking for something solid.
larienna

Re: How many Android users have joysticks?

Postby shatterblast » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:03 am

Android TV is mainly it. Everything else is touch-screen for the most part. There might be a few exceptions, but they are very few for good reason.
shatterblast

Postby larienna » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:25 am

Well, I thought there was some blue tooth gamepad where you could snap your phone in it. I am just not sure if it's something commonly used.
larienna

Postby shatterblast » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 am

That's more of niche. It would do well in scenarios offering a package deal or following in the trail of the few big name titles that already support wireless controllers.

However, that would set you up to compete if you try to copy a rival. That's another reason it's a niche.

If you can figure out how to sell a controller with your game, then you could maybe make it work. At that point, you would learn your audience.
shatterblast

Postby larienna » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Wow, never expected an add in my thread. I wonder what was the trigger word.

-----
That's more of niche.

So from what I understand, releasing a joystick only game for Android is not really a good idea unless there is a touch based alternative.

--------------------------------------------------

About Android TV

Maybe a good stat source could be related to android TV since you need a controller to play.
larienna

Postby shatterblast » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:28 pm

larienna wrote:Wow, never expected an add in my thread. I wonder what was the trigger word.

The ad bots are random. The forum software is old, and I have no idea who the web admin is. There is basically almost no protection, except for the want-to-be captcha.

larienna wrote:
shatterblast wrote:That's more of niche.

So from what I understand, releasing a joystick only game for Android is not really a good idea unless there is a touch based alternative.

That's the general idea. Android TV might be a bit more successful if you go that direction, but targeting touch-screen by default will net you a wider audience.

It just has to do with Mobile devices not automatically all coming with controllers by default. It's just best to work with what someone already has.

Controller support might be a good goal, though, and I'm certainly not trying to discourage you from that idea. It's just better to keep your wider audience in mind when you first approach your game design.

The concept would be to make your touch-screen support good, and somehow, let your controller support in the future enhance it better. It's possible to setup voting polls for features in your game through Google Play if you already have an audience I believe, or you could just link to one you make through Google Sheets.
shatterblast

Postby larienna » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:37 am

I might be dreaming a bit too far, but in my mind, I have 2 categories of games I want to design:

- Turn Based strategy or board games. Those games will have optional joystick support and will be designed for touch input. So no problem with Android here. I intend to make a reusable engine for all those games, which will probably distribute the "hassle" between all those games, and it will be easier to update the library to keep all the games up to date with Android.

- NES style dexterity games (action, adventure, RPG, etc). Those games have almost all joystick requirements. It's for that line of game that I wonder if it's worth the hassle of spending more time to support Android. Considering those games will probably each have their own unique engine, which should be harder to maintain with Android updates.
larienna

Postby shatterblast » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:17 am

Either option works well if you put the time into it. The main thing is keeping a level relatively short. I personally like to aim for 15 minutes or less. You could even mix and match elements of both types in some limited manner. In my opinion, the ability to save a player's progress is probably the most important.

Whether you aim for paid features or multi-player is a different thing, though.

I'm eventually heading for a type of cinematic style of interactive combat in the future. I still need to finalize my character levelling-up elements of my RPG system. After that, I will probably release in the next couple of weeks or less hopefully. I just finished the combat elements today.
shatterblast

Return to General Development