Xoppa and Bach have been slaving away on the new 3D API for a few months, it’s finally in a state where we want to push it to master, meaning it will also end up in the nightlies.
The API is done in its first iteration, but we’ll clean it up and modify it a bit according to user feedback. There is one known issue at the moment: the shader files used to render stuff are currently classpath files. This means they won’t work on GWT/iOS out of the box. This also affects the gdx-invaders project. We’ll fix that and other issues we discover asap.
The new API can read OBJ files, and G3DJ/G3DB files as produced by fbx-conv, out FBX to libgdx converter. I’ll provide binaries for that command line tool shortly for all desktop platforms. You can then convert FBX files as exported by Blender, Softimage, 3DSMax and Maya to our optimized format.
We’ll follow up with more examples and documentation in the coming weeks. For now you can check out gdx-invaders new Renderer implementation, and the tests in this package. Note that gdx-invaders is currently not MVC, i’ll revamp that asap.
To summarize the todos:
- clean up code and Javadocs
- write excellent wiki articles
- fix shader classpath issue for gwt/iOS
- provide binaries for fbx-conv, add it to the build server
- there appears to be a bug in AssetManager/TextureLoader which also needs fixing
- you give us a bit more time to do all the above and don’t get angry if we break a few minor things